Sunday, April 24, 2011

Journal Entry 12

Hillman Curtis Artist Series Films: Are Awesome.

I thoroughly enjoyed the directing and editing work that was done on these films. Aside from that, the information was also very thought-provoking.

Paula Scher was a lively speaker. She first discussed some of her designs such as the Jazz logo. The client wanted the logo to be syncopated and reflect jazz musicians themselves. She made the "a" in the logo boldly different fro the rest of the letters to reflect the boldness of some jazz musicians. She then discussed the New York Public Theater identity and how loud, urban, and visual it was. In it's Noise Funk series, the typography was made to look like it was making noise (which it did). Very refreshing to see such lively type.

She states that she operates very strongly with her instincts, and that her creation process is very intuitive. Her work is done in "bold strokes" without a lot of process. This I found ironic because as a student I am more or less being strayed away from such a working style. I do find that there is a balance between the two patterns. She ended with a discussing how learned how to "illustrate with type" greatly influenced her career early on. Sometimes I feel like illustrating with type is something that clicks with me. I would ask her if I could see some of her drawings or illustrations, those might be interesting.

David Carson's work was very inspiring. The few works that were shown at the beginning of the video were very interesting to me particularly because I enjoyed their darker and eerie nature. He opened by discussing how his lack of training was helpful in allowing him to put more of his personality into his work. He was very self indulgent in his work, which I am very much inspired by. He argues that as design gets more computerized, it is increasingly important for us to put more of our personality into our work (I agree). I can definitely see what he means by this when looking at his work. Another good point he made was that a good starting point in design is to simply interpret what you are designing.

Lawrence Weiner came off as a profoundly wise man when he opened with "How the hell do you know how the universe is supposed to work?" His down to earth philosophy was very refreshing to experience. He seems to understand quite a lot about how society works. He discusses how he tries to set up a pattern to help people figure out where they are and then where they can move from where they are. I deeply appreciate this man's intention to help people with design. Also, I found it humorous that he detests Helvetica because of how authoritative it is. I can see what he means in that regard. I would have a lot of questions to ask Lawrence, like where did he start out in his career?

No comments:

Post a Comment